How sudden hearing loss is treated depends upon the identification of underlying causes, which is always on a case by case basis. Thankfully, there are plenty of treatment options, including:
- A course of steroids to help reduce any inflammation or swelling that could be causing the condition
- Antibiotics if the underlying cause is determined to be a bacterial infection
- Alternative medication if your current medicine(s) are the cause of the problem
- Hearing aids, if the problem is particularly severe
- Lifestyle changes focused on reducing certain risk factors associated with sudden hearing loss – such as obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, and diabetes
Just keep in mind that the earlier you start treatment for sudden hearing loss, the better the prognosis will be. Certain cases have been known to resolve themselves after a few weeks, but there’s no point in taking the risk. You should seek treatment as early as possible, as this will almost certainly increase the likelihood of recovery.